Saturday, 11 May 2013

Caravan Diary, Day 7

Willem drumming away to 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'
on Radio 2. Slightly peculiar sound combo!

Today was odd. The kids and I had a lie-in which meant by the time we had tidied away the beds and had breakfast it was nearly midday. At least we nearly got our bedroom stripped of the hideous dark red flock wallpaper, in no small part  thanks to Alison's kind loan of a wallpaper steamer. Hendrik has been working away at it almost all day. I did what I could, but this whole DIY thing is so difficult with two kids tugging at my shirtsleeves. That's possibly the greatest challenge/frustration. I see all these things that I want to work away at, but always seem to have a hungry baby on one hip and a bored pre-schooler on the other. Arghhhhhhh!

In other news, we just found that the horrible people who sold us the house have left the attic (BIG space!) full of junk. Together with the furniture in the garage that we found on day one it's at least a skipful of old stuff that we'll have to get rid of. Bastards! They better hope that I never find out where they live! I'm in a good mind to just dump it all on their front lawn. WITHOUT the bin bags it's currently in. Oh yes, and the oven's not working. So no pizza anytime soon. I'll have to ask Dave, our tame electrician, to have a look at it next week. I'm just  annoyed that we spent a good three hours cleaning the darn thing before we checked it's working. That was super-stupid. Lesson learnt, I hope.


Team Schäfer tonight after well deserved curry. Caravan still smells a bit,
but how much better is this than the smell of stale nicotine in the house!

3 comments:

  1. Ok, sorry about the oven, that stinks. But I am LOVING your tone in these. Super down-to-business, life sorta stinks sometimes, but not whiny. Well done!
    And I really, really like that wallpaper behind Willem in the drumming photo. You'd better not be planning to steam that or you'll lose all the brownie points you've earned!
    And why don't you hop on an Air Transat flight to toronto while the builder people get down to business? We have a basement guest room that's at least one notch up from a caravan... I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to disappoint, guys, but the wallpaper is gonna go! It looks far more hideous up close and it reeks of nicotine. If I can persuade Hendrik, we might indulge all those friends who have voted to keep it by papering one wall somewhere (the infamous "feature wall" - how very "BBC Good Homes" of us) with something similar (but better) as a nod to the original house ;-)

      Thanks for the kind invite, by the way, you cannot imagine just how much we'd like to take you up on it, but frankly we're skint - or are going to be, once we have paid the contractors' bills. This year is going to be written off completely travel-wise as a sacrifice to our new home. Pretty painful now, but hopefully worth it in the long run.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete